Wednesday, April 7, 2010

We're Adopting (Written February 26, 2010)

I've been putting off making this decision public, but this week we are passing the "point of no return" I have been waiting for.

Jen and I are beginning the process to adopt 1-2 young children from Haiti. They're at an orphanage that our church has supported for several years, and we expect to travel to Haiti this summer to meet them and spend time working in the orphanage.

We still have a LOT of unanswered questions and unresolved hurdles, but I am confident that God has prepared us for this opportunity. If I believe this is what God wants us to do, then I cannot allow those questions to stop me from moving forward -- I'm just taking my questions with me as I walk forward in faith.

Our immediate goals are:
- Completing the required Adoption Homestudy class
- Getting our passports so we can travel to Haiti this summer to meet the kids
- Funding this process. Cost estimates range from less than $10k total to as much as $30k. The biggest determining factor is how long the process takes, and the length of the process is determined largely by the Haitian government's cooperation. Since Haiti is currently in anarchy, this is the single biggest unknown.

In spite of these challenges, we're moving forward. I don't believe God would lead us to adopt these children without faithfully blazing a trail, we just can't see the path yet.

We sincerely request your prayers.

Andy McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment